To provide a safe and appropriate environment for students and adults on our school buses is a priority of the Transportation Department. In order to accomplish this priority it takes the help of informed and effective bus drivers, school staff, parents, and students following the lead of adults helping to maintain a safe, orderly, and harassment free school bus.
Listed below are Rules and Expectations for students riding the school buses and Parent Information. The importance of adhering to these rules and expectation is essential to our effort to provide safe and secure bus transportation for all transported students.
Parents, please note that private bus services such as "Kids To and From School", “Daddy’s Day Care” and “Kid Town” are not Board approved nor solicited by the Willingboro Board of Education. Therefore, the Board of Education will not accept any responsibility for their services.
This includes, but is not limited to, discipline incidents on the bus, lateness to school and failure to pick up students after school. Parents/Guardians who utilize private vendors assume any and all responsibility and liability for their children when using these services.
Recently, these three vendors have failed state inspections and in some cases have been barred from transporting students. If you have questions about school bus safety please follow this link to find out how buses are inspected and to look up your child's bus on the NJ motor vehicle's bus safety database.
Mr. Alberto Silva
(609) 835-8786 ext. 1
Rules and Expectations of Riding the Bus
Following these simple rules and expectations will ensure a safe and orderly bus service for all our students:
- Students being transported are under the authority of the bus driver.
- Fighting, wrestling, or boisterous activity is prohibited on the bus.
- Students shall be on time for the bus both morning and evening.
- Students should use the emergency door only in case of an emergency.
- Students shall not bring animals, firearms, weapons, or other potentially hazardous materials on the bus.
- Students shall remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- The bus driver may assign students seats.
- Students shall not extend their hands, arms, or heads through bus windows.
- Students shall have written permission to leave the bus other then at home or school.
- Students shall converse in normal tones.
- Loud or vulgar language is prohibited.
- Students shall not open or close windows without permission of the bus driver.
- Students shall keep the bus clean and refrain from damaging it.
- Students shall be courteous to the driver, to fellow pupils, and passersby.
- Students who refuse to obey promptly the directions of the driver or refuse to obey regulations may forfeit their privilege to ride on the buses.
- Students are expected to be at their designated bus stop and ready to board five minutes prior to their scheduled pick-up time. (Bus may arrive up to five minutes early).
- Every student riding the daily route buses is expected to have a backup plan in the event he or she misses the bus.
- Students late to their stop and attempting to board by running along side a moving bus or chasing the bus down the road is dangerous and prohibited.
- Vehicles or persons attempting to force the bus to stop in order to board or remove a student are prohibited.
- Food and drinks are not to be consumed on the bus, unless arrangements are made with the permission of the bus driver. (Clear plastic bottles containing plain drinking water are permitted with the permission of the driver.)
- No glass containers or breakable items allow on the bus.
- The bus shall not leave school grounds until the bus environment is appropriate for safe, orderly transportation.
- Students refusing to follow the bus driver’s directions, interfering with the driver’s duties, safety, order or the timeliness of the route may be returned to the school.
Note: Students returned to the school are to be turned over to a school staff member.
Monitoring Devices on School Vehicles
Parents and students, please familiarize yourself with the below policy regarding monitoring devices on school vehicles (e.g. school buses). Should you have any questions, please contact the transportation office at (609) 835-8600, ext. 7508. Thank you.
If you would like to view this policy in the online Policies & Procedures Manual, please <<click here.>> <insert link here>
WILLINGBORO TOWNSHIP BOARD OF EDUCATION
8690/page 1 of 1
Monitoring Devices on School Vehicles
8690 MONITORING DEVICES ON SCHOOL VEHICLES
The Board of Education recognizes that safe and secure conditions for all pupils transported in school owned or contracted school vehicles is paramount. Pupils transported in a school owned or contracted school vehicle must maintain proper discipline in the vehicle at all times.
To maintain the safe and secure conditions for all pupils transported on school owned or contracted school vehicles, the Board may use devices to monitor and/or observe pupil behavior, teacher and support staff behavior, school bus driver discipline procedures and/or school bus driver driving techniques. The device may be a sound video camera, a voice monitoring device or other appropriate devices. Each school vehicle will have a sign clearly posted in the school vehicle stating that:
"Video And/Or Audio Monitoring Devices Are Used On School Owned And
Contracted Vehicles And This Vehicle May Be Monitored At Any Time."
The recording may be used in pupil and staff discipline matters, driver evaluations or for driver discipline or training. Notice of this policy will be provided to parent (s) or legal guardian(s) and all transportation personnel each year in staff, pupil and/or parent handbooks.
20 USCA 1231g
30 CFR 300.571 Part 99, 300.572, 300.573
Adopted: 10 September 2007